Church of San Giovanni Evangelista
The construction of the parish church dates back to 1326 thanks to the initiative of Simone di Guido, friar and later prior of the Dominican convent of Santa Maria Novella. It became a priory in 1789 and since then dedicated to the Evangelist, patron saint of Montelupo, the current church is the result of the changes made by the architect Giuseppe Silvestri in 1796, which gave it the architectural lightness typical of the late 18th century. It was the parish priest Giuseppe Boschi who endowed it with the monumental high altar in marble. Inside, the most important work is the Madonna and Child with Saints Sebastian, Lorenzo, Giovanni Evangelista and Rocco, first attributed to Ghirlandaio and now considered to belong to the school of Botticelli. Particularly interesting are the two small altars placed in the heads of the naves and dedicated to the Holy Crucifix, coming from the Priory of San Lorenzo, and to the Madonna of the Rosary. Above the access door there is a beautiful panel depicting the Visitation, attributed to Francesco Curradi.
Address: Via Baccio da Montelupo, 37 , Montelupo Fiorentino
GPX coordinates: 43.7334922,11.0223712