Corsini park and Florentine fortress
The suggestive Corsini Park, with its ancient buildings, is located in the historic centre of the town. The area includes the palace, the medieval towers, the park and a series of other buildings joined by common spaces.
The palace and the adjoining fortified area of the fortress - in the 11th century already the seat of the Cadolingian castle of Salamarzana - initially had different and separate vicissitudes.
The towers of the fortress dominate a small forest of oaks, holm oaks and cypresses. The fortification, commissioned by the Florentines in 1322, played a role of control over the important crossroads of Fucecchio and on the Arno bridge, as well as to curb the restless local population by repressing its frequent turnoil.
Intended for military purposes until the end of the 14th century, the fortress lost its original strategic importance in the early 15th century, after Florence conquered Pisa and consolidated its border to the west.
Dominated by the majesty of the "Big Tower", remain of the oldest Cadolingian castle of Salamarzana, the park also houses the tall "Middle Tower" and the smaller "Pagliaiola" which stands on the eastern side.
Address: Piazza Corsini, Fucecchio
GPX coordinates: 43.7298317,10.8096924