Palazzo Corsini and museum
The towers and the palace were unified for the first time in the early fifteenth century when the buildings and fortifications passed under the control of wealthy Florentine families.
In 1460 the palace, formerly the administrative center of a farm, was purchased by Giovanni di Cosimo dei Medici, then passed on to his nephew Lorenzo the Magnificent and finally to the hospital of Altopascio.
Important renovation works that gave the building its current appearance date back to the Medici property period. In 1643 the farm was purchased by the Marquis Corsini who in 1864 also became the owners of the Fortress. Since 1981 the whole complex is again a municipal property.
The building has three floors with some frescoed rooms, on the top floor there is a small loggia overlooking the Arno river from which you can enjoy a beautiful panorama.
The Museum founded in 1969, one of the few Tuscan examples of local museums at the time, was reopened in 2004 in the new headquarters of Palazzo Corsini. The collections are arranged on the three floors of the building in the sections: archaeological, historical-artistic and naturalistic.
The naturalistic and archaeological materials allow to follow the history of the natural and man-made environment from the end of the Tertiary to the modern age. The rooms dedicated to the medieval development of the city crossed by the Via Francigena are particularly interesting. The historical-artistic section includes paintings and works of minor arts from the churches of the main town with very interesting paintings by Scheggia, brother of Masaccio, Giovanni Larciani and Bartolomeo Ghetti in addition to the collection of works by the Fucecchio painter Arturo Checchi (1898-1971). The ornithological collection is mainly dedicated to the birdlife of the Fucecchio Marshes.
Address: Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 27, Fucecchio
Phone: 0571 20341
GPX coordinates: 43.729174,10.808759