Parish church of San Martino in Campo
Interesting building that dates back to the first decades of the 12th century, in an isolated position on Poggio dei Fornelli, with a central structure dating back to several previous centuries. With elegant, sober and imposing apsidal structure in sandstone blocks, inspired by the Pisan Romanesque, the abbey is located on the edge of a thick forest and in 1140 was already remembered as a Vallombrosan monastery. In 1464 the abbey was set on fire during a battle against the Lucca army and the fire destroyed the part near the entrance. In the 18th century it was plastered and furnished in Baroque style. The restoration in 1951 brought to light what is left of the ancient structure.
The interior has two naves and three spans, divided by round arches. The primitive representations on the pillars of the cloister and the residual traces of numerous frescoes that decorated the interior of the church are suggestive. On the beautiful 14th century sandstone portal, which leads to the abbey, stands the coat of arms of Matteo Frescobaldi, at the time abbot of the monastery.
In the sacristy there is a fresco of Florentine school, attributed to Pietro and Antonio di Miniato, which depicts the Madonna on throne with the Child and Saints.
The church can be visited by appointment.
Address: Via San Martino in Campo 1 , Capraia e Limite (FI)
Web site: www.abbaziasanmartino.com
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 055 877339
GPX coordinates: 43.7791428732,11.0205989127